Area of Expertise
Bestlyn has been involved in a broad range of practice areas including commercial and civil dispute resolution, private wealth, and white-collar crime. She has assisted on a number of high-value matters including an arbitration matter for a foreign company in its claim against a foreign government for various breaches of a joint venture agreement for losses of profit estimated between US$150 to US$$300 million. Prior to joining Providence Law Asia, Bestlyn gained exposure to a broad range of practice areas including criminal law, family law and conveyancing. Currently, Bestlyn’s main areas of practice include:
- Commercial and civil litigation
- International arbitration
- Private wealth litigation
- Criminal law
Representative Case Experience
Civil & commercial litigation
- Successfully acted for the third parties in a S$90m class action brought by 1,102 investors against the defendants, who were ordered to pay costs in respect of their third party action.
- Acted for a leading pet food company in a civil suit against its former director for fraud and misappropriation. Successfully obtained a favourable settlement of the suit.
- Acted for a Singaporean businessman in a civil suit commenced by an interior design company. Successfully obtained a favourable settlement of the suit during mediation.
- Acted for a cat fosterer to defend against an injunction filed by an adopter. Successfully obtained a favourable settlement agreement.
- Acting for the former ambassador of Singapore to Russia in a claim for misrepresentation commenced by a Russian company in respect of a $20m transaction.
- Acting for a high-net worth individual in the Court of Appeal to defend an appeal against an anti-suit injunction.
- Acting for a news media company in defamation proceedings commenced by a vending machine franchisor.
- Acting for the former CEO and director of a global technology service provider accused of fraud and misappropriation in a High Court suit.
Compliance, Investigations & Business Crimes
- Successfully resisted an appeal in the High Court by the Prosecution who were seeking to double the jail term for an oil trader accused of falsification of accounts to cover up million-dollar trading losses in Public Prosecutor v Kidd, David John and another matter  SGHC 230.
- Successfully acted for a company director in obtaining rare acquittal of 4 out of 5 GST-related offences in Loon Wai Yang v Public Prosecutor  SGHC 34.
- Acting in a multi-jurisdictional financial crime matter involving seized assets linked to the 1MDB fund.
- Acting for the directors of a commodities trading company in respect of numerous charges under s 141 of the Insolvency, Restructuring and Dissolution Act.
- Advised leading marine equipment supplier on managing risks of corruption and bribery.
- Acted for a remisier at a brokerage firm facing charges for unauthorised trading and deceptive practices under the Securities and Futures Act.
- Acted for a company director in one of Singapore’s largest private sector corruption cases in history in the Court of Appeal.
Fraud & Asset Recovery
- Acting for the foreign spouse of a Singapore-based businessman in the enforcement of a €26m divorce settlement.
- Acting for the director of a Japanese food distribution company to recover assets misappropriated by former director.
Probate And Family Matters
- Successfully acted as instructed counsel for the father for a child relocation matter in VPG v VPF and another appeal  SGHCF 18. Obtained care and control, as well as leave to relocate the child to India, for the father.
- Acting for a high net worth individual in the Court of Appeal to defend his ex-wife’s appeal against an anti-suit injunction restraining her from Part III proceedings in England.
- Acting for the beneficiaries of a $20m estate in highly contentious probate proceedings commenced by a doctor.
- Acting for the estates of a high net worth Indonesian couple in probate proceedings.
- Acting for the administrator of a thirty-year-old $6m estate in highly contentious probate proceedings involving foreign beneficiaries.
- Advising a publicly-funded arts institution on the termination of a senior lecturer.
- Acting pro bono for a foreign domestic worker in claims against her former employer for potential abuse and mistreatment.
- Acted pro bono for a foreign domestic worker in claims against her former employer for unpaid work done. Successfully obtained a favourable settlement.
- Acted in an employment dispute between the former director of a document management solutions company in a counterclaim against her former employers for outstanding bonuses. Successfully obtained a favourable settlement.
- Advised the Air Line Pilots Association Singapore (ALPA-S), a union representing SIA pilots, on its collective agreement negotiations with SIA, particularly in relation to various issues involving the salary and training contracts of SIA pilots.
Professional Negligence & Malpractice
- Acting for the Law Society of Singapore in an application to review the decision of the Inquiry Committee.
- Acted for the Law Society of Singapore in prosecution of a veteran lawyer charged with failure to supervise his conveyancing clerk.
- Acted for a junior lawyer convicted of forgery in disciplinary proceedings before the Court of Three Judges.
- Acting for an arts practitioner facing allegations of harassment and doxxing on social media.
- Acted for a legal practitioner in suing another legal practitioner for his comments about the former on social media. Successfully obtained an amicable resolution of the dispute.
- Advising and representing a leading technology and supply chain service provider on potential claims against a leading IT company. Successfully secured repayment of the outstanding claims.