Area of Expertise
Mingguan undertakes a diverse range of work in the areas of international arbitration and commercial litigation. Prior to joining Providence Law Asia LLC, Mingguan practised at Drew & Napier LLC for 7 years, where he worked with eminent Senior Counsel.
Mingguan has handled numerous shareholder and joint venture disputes, as well as complex high-value contractual claims. Mingguan has also acted for and advised state-owned entities, financial institutions and high-net worth individuals.
Mingguan’s main areas of practice include:
- International arbitration
- Corporate & commercial litigation
- Shareholder and joint venture disputes
- Banking and financial disputes
In addition, Mingguan has been involved in many high-value cases across a broad range of other practice areas including defamation, corporate insolvency and restructuring, professional negligence, construction, and property and land law.
Representative Case Experience
- Acted in an international arbitration seated in Hong Kong, under the LCIA Rules, involving disputes
arising out of a Stock and Asset Purchase Agreement governed by New York law. The claims were for,
among other things, the recovery of certain sums due and owing as part of the purchase.
consideration, and damages in excess of US$10.5 million based on alleged breaches of contract.
- Acted for a Singapore-listed company in relation to an international arbitration seated in Myanmar,
involving disputes arising out of a joint venture agreement. This matter involved, among other things,
the sale of shares valued at approximately US$560 million.
- Acted in an international arbitration, under the SIAC Rules, involving disputes arising out of a
shareholders’ agreement in respect of a water treatment company with businesses in China. This case
involved, among other things, questions of construction of the parties’ obligations under the
- Acted in an international ad hoc arbitration seated in Brunei, involving disputes arising out of an
agreement for piling works and the construction of a wharf. The claim was for approximately B$30
- Acting in a suit heard in the Singapore International Commercial Court arising from a dispute involving parties from China, Singapore and Russia in the aftermath of a terminated joint venture to develop and promote the world’s largest indoor ski slope and winter-theme integrated resort previously valued at RMB2.8 billion.
- Acting in a suit heard in the Singapore International Commercial Court for an Executive Director in Macquarie Bank Limited, in respect of a dispute arising out of a commodity swap transaction governed by English law.
- Acted in a suit in the High Court, and on appeal to the Court of Appeal, in relation to the sale of shares by a mortgagee bank at an undervalue and an application for an anti-suit injunction. The claim was for approximately US$80 million.
- Acted in a suit in the High Court in relation to disputes arising out of an agreement for the sale and purchase of integrated circuit chips worth US$60 million.
- Acted in a suit in the High Court in relation to claims brought by a Singapore-based shipyard against a European listed company arising out of defective ship designs. The contract value of the vessels was approximately US$25 million.
- Acted in a suit in the High Court in relation to cheques allegedly altered by an employee of a luxury watch dealer. This case involved the duties owed by a bank to its customers, and the cheques were in excess of S$10 million.
- Acting for a high net worth US Permanent Resident against a claim by one of the wealthiest men in Singapore, in respect of a dispute relating to the shares in an Indian company worth around US$40 million. This litigation raises complex and novel legal issues involving, among other things, Indian law relating to regulated agricultural land in India and the enforceability of agreements relating to the transfer of property held by, and to be transferred to, third parties.
- Representation of a BVI company which had been wound up and subsequently restored, in order to pursue a claim in an ICC arbitration seated in London arising from a transfer of more than US$17 million to a company beneficially owned by his client.