Qualifications & Admissions
LL.B (Hons), National University of Singapore
Advocate and Solicitor, Supreme Court of Singapore
Accredited Mediator, Singapore Mediation Centre
Area of Expertise
Danny is a commercial litigator who regularly represents High Net Worth Individuals (“HNWI”), professionals, C-Suite executives and companies in cross-border, high stake business and family disputes and regulatory proceedings. In recent years, his practice has focused on (i) corporate & commercial disputes, (ii) insolvency and restructuring and (iii) private wealth & tax disputes. He has 10 years of post-qualification experience.
Danny is an accredited mediator with Singapore Mediation Centre, a member of the Singapore Institute of Arbitration, and a member of 3 of the Law Society of Singapore’s standing committees: (i) the Insolvency Committee, (ii) the Civil Practice Committee and (iii) the Tax & Trusts Committee. He prides himself on top-notch service delivery.
A leading global financial services provider client says:
“I am impressed how quickly Danny grasped the important elements of the complex contract and the underlying business. Danny first explores what our business need is and then he tailors his advice to it. We immediately felt that Danny has a profound understanding of available legal remedies and a solid experience in what possibly works and what doesn’t. Danny show a very good balance of confidence and disclosure of risks. This made the core team and our top management feel confident as well. On top, Danny and his team work really fast and deliver high quality of work. And last but not least, on top of Danny’s humour which I like very much, Danny explains complex legal topics in such a way that also our colleagues from the business understand.”
Danny is a highly-rated speaker and trainer and a thought leader in his areas of practice. In 2020/21, he was invited to speak at events hosted by the International Bar Association, the Singapore Academy of Law, the Law Society of Singapore, Tax Academy, Omni Bridgeway, ThoughtLeaders for FIRE, BrightTalk and GAO Capital. He was also published in the International Bar Association Journal, the Business Times, the Straits Times, the IBFD Tax Journal, Tax Notes International, SAL Practitioner and Singapore Law Watch.
Danny graduated from the Law Faculty of the National University of Singapore and placed on the Overall Dean’s List (top 10%). He was NUS’ top tax law student and was nominated for the Lee Hsien Loong Award for Outstanding All-Round Achievement. He was previously with international firm Baker & McKenzie, the Inland Revenue Authority of Singapore and had stints with UK barrister chambers Fountain Court Chambers and Pump Court Tax Chambers.
Danny’s main areas of practice are:
- Corporate and Commercial Litigation
- Tax Disputes
- Private Wealth Disputes
- Insolvency and Restructuring
REPRESENTATIVE CASE EXPERIENCE
Corporate and Commercial Litigation
- Acted for a Russian businessman in a US$2.1 billion dispute in the Singapore International Commercial Court (“SICC”) involving alleged breaches of a partnership agreement relating to an integrated winter resort in China. Bachmeer Capital Ltd v Ong Chi Ching  SGHC(I) 07.
- Acting for the Avaloq Group, a leading global financial services provider, in a multi-million dollar SIAC arbitration against the IBM Group. Obtained urgent injunctive relief against IBM in support of the arbitration.
- Representing a BVI company with a Hong Kong HWNI beneficial owner in a US$90 million dispute in a conspiracy and fraud claim brought against various offshore entities and Singapore-based individuals.
- Represented Diginex, a NASDAQ-listed crypto-company, in a US$10 million intellectual property dispute against a Puerto Rico-based company and individual.
- Acting for the founders of the StreetSine Technology Group, an innovative software company in the real estate space, in minority oppression and breach of director duties litigation against Singapore Press Holdings, a media organisation listed on the SGX.
- Defended an Australian director of an international bank in a US$1.2 million SICC suit brought by the bank against the Singapore subsidiary of a Chinese state-owned enterprise involving OTC forward swap contracts. Macquarie Bank Ltd v Graceland Industry Pte Ltd  SGHC(I) 5.
- Defended an Indonesian businessman against a US$7.5 million claim brought by an Indonesian mining conglomerate involving fraudulent bills of lading; successfully set aside a mareva injunction.
- Represented a Thai construction company in a multi-million dollar SIAC arbitration against a Myanmar State-Owned Enterprise; obtained an urgent injunctive relief in support of the arbitration.
- Acted for two investment bankers in neutral evaluation proceedings commenced by UOB Kay Hian, one of Asia’s largest brokerage firms, in respect of a US$4.6 million compensation dispute
- Represented an Indian HNWI in a hotly contested judicial review application involving a review committee’s decision to dismiss a complaint of gross overcharging against two senior lawyers. Deepak Sharma v Law Society of Singapore  SGCA 43
- Acting for the directors of an SGX-listed company, SBI Offshore, in disciplinary proceedings bought against them by SGX Reg Co for alleged breaches of the SGX Listing Rules.
- Acted for the Chief Investment Officer of a leading insurance company in Asia-Pacific in a US$2.2 million compensation dispute with her employer.
Insolvency & Restructuring
- Acted for the Indonesian shareholders of Jurong Aromatics Corp Pte Ltd in a US$2.4 billion restructuring project involving the filing of a scheme of arrangement, which resulted in a published judgment by a 5-member quorum of the Singapore Court of Appeal in SK Engineering & Construction Co Ltd v Conchubar Aromatics Ltd  SGCA 51.
- Acting for the Liquidators (from Ernst & Young Solutions LLP) of Griffin Real Estate Investment Holdings Ltd in the recovery of an estimated US$26 million from the former directors of the company and in other recovery actions against third parties amounting to more than US$22 million.
- Acting for the founders of The Working Capitol, a developer of co-working spaces and neighbourhoods for lifestyle and F&B operations, in a Chapter 11-esque restructuring of over US$18 million in liabilities.
- Acting for the Liquidators of various ship-owning subsidiaries of Xihe Capital Pte Ltd (all owed by the Lim family, who are also the owners of the embattled Hin Leong group) in defending against litigation initiated by fellow Liquidators and Judicial Managers of the Hin Leong Group.
- Acting for the Liquidator of SGX-listed SBI Offshore Ltd in legal proceedings relating to a dispute between PwC Singapore and Mr David Tan (former CEO of SBI Offshore Ltd).
- Acted for the SEF Construction Group in restructuring about US$82 million of debt via a scheme of arrangement.
- Acted for the Kyen Resources Group, a commodities trading firm, in a multi-million dollar restructuring project. Kyen’s parent company is the Shenzhen Stock Exchange-listed Chinese shipping and logistics conglomerate Shenzhen Feima International Supply Chain.
- Acted for two HNWI in voluntary arrangement proceedings to restructure multi-million dollars in personal debt.
- Acted for a major shareholder of Super Park Asia Group Pte Ltd in contentious provisional liquidation proceedings. The dispute was eventually heard by the Singapore Court of Appeal which issued a judgment Superpark Oy v Super Park Asia Group Pte Ltd & Ors  SGCA 8.
- Acted for the Liquidator of Vi Dimensions Pte Ltd in contentious sale proceedings relating to the US$1.35m sale of the company’s intellectual property.
- Advised the directors of SGX-listed Ryobi Kiso Holdings Ltd in investigations and potential litigation commenced by Judicial Managers of the company (from PwC).
- Acted for the Comptroller of Income Tax in the first ‘pre-packaged’ scheme of arrangement in Singapore involving the restructuring of US$60 million of debts of SGX-listed Hoe Leong Corporation, a heavy equipment supplier.
- Acted for Smove Singapore Pte Ltd – a car-sharing operator – and their shareholder GetAround, the world’s largest connected car-sharing marketplace in a multi-million dollar restructuring project.
- Acted for the directors of Uni Bros Metal Pte Ltd in successfully resisting bankruptcy proceedings commenced by the company’s creditors.
- Acted for a Belgian company in resisting an anti-suit injunction commenced by the Scheme Administrators of Glory Wealth Shipping Pte Ltd.
- Acting for a Singapore company in judicial review proceedings against the Comptroller of Goods & Services Tax (“GST”) seeking, inter alia, a quashing order against GST assessments totalling approximately US$20 million
- Acting for the Commissioner of Stamp Duties in a judicial review application involving a challenge to the clawback of Additional Buyer’s Stamp Duty
- Acted for the Comptroller of in a rare GST anti-avoidance case involving a US$63 million cross-border carousel fraud.
- Acted for the Comptroller of GST in a dispute involving the application of GST on US$8.5 million of online gaming activities.
- Acted for the Comptroller of GST in a dispute involving the zero-rating of over US$7.5 million worth of goods.
- Acted for the Comptroller of Income Tax in a dispute regarding US$60 million of capital allowances granted on the redevelopment of conservation property.
- Acted for the Comptroller of Income Tax in a dispute regarding the deductibility of bad debt claims amounting to about US$15 million.
- Acted for the Comptroller of Income Tax in a capital versus revenue dispute relating to the construction of an US$13.5 million cement silo.
- Acted for the Comptroller of Income Tax in a dispute regarding US$8.5 million of capital allowances for a building extension.
- Acted for the Comptroller of Income Tax in a dispute involving US$9 million of capital allowances for various lighting and artwork structures.
- Acted for the Comptroller of Income Tax in a dispute involving the taxability of a US$0.8 million restrictive covenant payment and a US$1.2 million management buyout payment.
- Acting for a Singaporean HNWI in alleged tax evasion case involving over US$3.5 million of offshore income.
Private Wealth Disputes
- Acted for an Indonesian businessman with a Cayman Island family trust containing assets valued at over US$133 million against civil lawsuits and criminal prosecution in Singapore, Switzerland, USA, India and BVI.
- Represented the executors of a US$20 million testamentary trust in contentious probate proceedings involving the Israeli Government.
- Acting for a Singaporean HNWI in contentious Mental Capacity Act (“MCA”) proceedings against her siblings with respect to the care of their elderly 94-year-old mother with a multi-million dollar estate.
- Acting for a Singaporean HNWI in contentious MCA proceedings against her god-brother with respect to the care of their 88-year-old mother and in contested probate proceedings involving a US$25 million estate.
- Acted for a Singaporean HNWI in contentious probate proceedings involving a US$8 million estate.
- Represented the patriarchs of a family textiles business in seeking to clawback about US$8 million in fraudulent withdrawals by the next-generation family members.
- Singapore Institute of Arbitration