LL.B (Hons), National University of Singapore
Advocate and Solicitor, Supreme Court of Singapore
Area of Expertise
Danny is a commercial litigator with a unique niche in tax disputes and a growing practice in insolvency & civil fraud matters. He was recently recognised as an up-and-coming litigator by the Singapore Academy of Law and completed attachments with UK “magic circle” barrister sets Fountain Court Chambers and Pump Court Tax Chambers. Danny was previously with the Inland Revenue Authority of Singapore and international law firm Baker & McKenzie.
Danny is the go-to litigation counsel for foreign lawyers, accountants, tax advisors and insolvency practitioners who require specialist dispute resolution advice and representation for their own clients. Apart from acting alongside such professionals, Danny typically acts for entrepreneurs, directors, HNWIs and SMEs in high-stake matters against MNCs, banks, regulators and government-linked bodies. He also frequently acts as co-counsel together with international and large local law firms.
Danny teaches and speaks regularly at pro bono and university events, actively mentors junior lawyers and law students and occasionally represents impecunious accused persons in criminal cases.
Danny’s main areas of practice are:
- Corporate and Commercial Litigation
- Tax Disputes
- Insolvency and Restructuring
REPRESENTATIVE CASE EXPERIENCE
Commercial and Commercial Litigation
- Represented a Russian businessman in a matter in the Singapore International Commercial Court (“SICC”) involving alleged breaches of a partnership agreement relating to an integrated winter resort in China valued at S$2.8 billion.
- Represented an Australian director of an international bank in an SICC suit brought by the bank against the Singapore subsidiary of a Chinese state-owned enterprise involving OTC forward swap contracts valued at US$1.2 million.
- Represented an Indonesian businessman and his various companies in, inter alia, setting aside an interim Mareva injunction, resisting contractual claims valued at over S$10 million and setting aside a $2 million statutory demand.
- Represented the patriarchs of a family textiles business in seeking to clawback over $10 million in fraudulent withdrawals by the next-generation family members.
- Represented a Thai construction company in obtaining an urgent injunctive relief against the unconscionable call of a US$740,000 performance bond.
- Acted in judicial review proceedings against the Comptroller of GST and Comptroller of Stamp Duties
- Acted in a rare GST avoidance case involving a US$63 million cross-border carousel fraud
- Acted in corporate and individual income tax avoidance cases involving corporatization, profit-shifting and multi-jurisdictional corporate structures
- Acted in corporate tax disputes involving multi-million dollar capital expenditures
- Acted in employee compensation disputes involving valuation of share options and characterisation of employee termination payments
- Acted in disputes involving imposition of stamp duty and Additional Buyer Stamp Duty (ABSD)
Insolvency & Restructuring
- Represented the minority shareholders of Jurong Aromatics Corporation in a US$2.4 billion restructuring project
- Represented commodities trader Kyen Resources and main contractor SEF Construction in restructuring projects valued at over S$100 million each
- Represented various HWNIs in voluntary arrangement schemes to restructure multi-million dollar personal debt
- Represented the directors of Singapore-listed construction conglomerate Ryobi Kiso in judicial management proceedings
- Represented the liquidators of Griffin Real Estate Investment Holdings in asset recovery litigation commenced against its former directors and shareholders
- Represented a Belgian company in resisting an anti-suit injunction commenced by the scheme administrators of Glory Wealth Shipping
- Represented the directors / shareholders of insolvent businesses in litigation commenced by liquidators
- Represented a HNWI in respect of a Cayman Island family trust with assets valued at over US$133 million against civil lawsuits in Singapore and possible criminal prosecution initiated by third parties in multiple jurisdictions.
- Acting for the directors of various Singapore-listed companies in respect of disciplinary proceedings brought by the SGX
- Represented the beneficiary of a multi-million dollar will trust in challenging the validity of the allegedly fraudulent final iteration of her late parents’ mirror wills.
- Defended a prominent businessman who was charged for corruption for providing foreign football officials with prostitutes as bribes for fixing football matches. The said businessman was allegedly part of an international match-fixing cartel.
- Represented a HNWI in a hotly contested judicial review application involving a review committee’s decision to dismiss a complaint of gross overcharging against two senior lawyers. Deepak Sharma v Law Society of Singapore