+65 6438 1969
Qualifications & Admissions
JSM (Master’s), Stanford Law School, 2009
LL.B (Hons), National University of Singapore, 2004
Admitted as an Advocate and Solicitor of the Supreme Court of Singapore, 2005
Admitted as a member of the Bar Association of the Kingdom of Cambodia, 2010
Area of Expertise
Mahdev specializes in international law and regulation in business transactions. He has worked with Senior Counsel to represent sovereigns, multi-nationals and other clients on a range of disputes, including commercial arbitration, commercial crime, and banking law. He completed his Master’s at Stanford Law School on a Fulbright Scholarship, and is an Assistant Professor of Law at the Singapore Management University. He is also an Associate Tenant of Temple Garden Chambers, one of the leading sets in the UK, and is a Nominated Member of Parliament (“NMP”).
As an international law academic and practitioner, Mahdev brings with him expertise in the following areas of practice:
- International commercial arbitration
- Regulatory & government affairs
- White collar crime, compliance, and internal investigations
Mahdev has assisted UK barristers on commercial litigation before the English Court of Appeal. He is now an Associate Tenant with Temple Garden Chambers, a leading set of chambers in London in the fields of public law, public international law, and regulatory and government affairs.
In Singapore, Mahdev has been an associate with Drew & Napier LLC’s litigation & dispute resolution department, where he has worked with Senior Counsel to represent multi-nationals, sovereigns and other clients on a range of contentious and advisory matters, including international commercial arbitration, commercial crime, banking law, and defamation law.
Mahdev is an Assistant Professor at the Singapore Management University School of Law. He directs SMU’s Asian Business & Rule of Law initiative. He is also the Executive Director of the Singapore Society of International Law, where he oversees its trans-national dispute resolution interest group. He is an editor of the Journal of East Asia and International Law and researches and writes on international law, investment arbitration and human rights in Asia.
Mahdev completed his Master’s at Stanford Law School on a Fulbright Scholarship. At Stanford, he was appointed a Fellow by the Stanford Center on International Conflict Negotiation (SCICN). While at Stanford, he was also awarded the Carl Mason Franklin Prize for most outstanding scholarly writing in the field of international law from Stanford Law School.
REPRESENTATIVE CASE EXPERIENCE
- The Republic of the Philippines in an ICC arbitration (and related litigation) concerning construction and alleged expropriation of an airport terminal involving claims of over US$1 billion.
- Advising the United Nations (UN) and the European Commission (EC) on public international law issues in the context of international commercial disputes, for example, natural resource development (oil & gas) and infrastructure programmes.
- Advising the UN on international criminal law issues.
- Representing the CEO of Singapore’s largest IT company who was acquitted of corruption after a 60-day trial.
- Advising the International Olympic Committee on matters relating to the bid for the 2008 Olympic Games.
- Advising and representing sovereign governments on judicial review, public law, state immunity, and international business transactions.
- Advising and representing high net-worth individuals against charges relating to securities fraud, market manipulation, insider trading, and other white-collar criminal offences under the Securities & Futures Act.
- Advising and representing diplomats and embassy officials in civil and criminal matters relating to diplomatic and public international law.
- Advising and representing corporations on due diligence and internal investigations relating to business & human rights.
- Cambodian ethnic minority victims of genocide at the UN-backed Khmer Rouge Tribunal.
- Couriers and young offenders accused of drug trafficking offences (which can attract the death penalty).
- Served as Legal Adviser to the Singapore Ministry of Law, 68th Session of the UN General Assembly (Third Committee), 2013
- Served as a Member of the 6th Supply of Lawyers Sub-Committee, Singapore Academy of Law (appointed by VK Rajah JA), 2013
- Consultant, Criminal Practice Committee, Law Society of Singapore (appointed by President, Law Society)
- Executive Director, Society of International Law Singapore
- International Civil Party Lawyer, UN-backed Extraordinary Chambers in the Courts of Cambodia
- Affiliated Scholar, Stanford Center on International Conflict and Negotiation (SCICN), Stanford Law School
- Associate Member, Singapore Institute of Arbitrators
- Nominated Member of Parliament (“NMP”) at the 13th Parliament
PROVIDENCE LAW ASIA
20 Collyer Quay #21-02 Singapore 049319
P: +65 6438 1969 | E: [email protected]
THE PROVIDENCE EXPERIENCE
Becoming a consummate advocate.
That's the promise of Team Providence.