Area of Expertise
Nawaz has handled a diverse range of corporate insolvency and restructuring matters over almost a decade. During that time, Nawaz has also acted for and advised financial institutions and multi-national business organisations in various corporate and commercial disputes. Prior to joining Providence Law Asia LLC, Nawaz’s practice included working in the Corporate Insolvency & Restructuring Department with Drew & Napier LLC and the Banking & Financial Disputes Department at WongPartnership LLP.
Nawaz’s main areas of practice are:
• Corporate insolvency and restructuring
• Corporate and commercial litigation
• Banking and financial disputes
• Shareholder disputes
During the course of his practice, Nawaz has been involved in many high-value cases across numerous other practice areas; including international commercial arbitration, internal investigations, construction law, financial regulatory matters, intellectual property law, insurance law and probate law. At Providence Law, Nawaz continues to handle many high-profiled and high-value cases and have become a Corporate insolvency and restructuring expert. He is currently acting for the liquidators from Ernst & Young with respect to a joint venture company (worth over S$100 million) which is partly owned by Sakae Holdings Limited, amongst other matters.
REPRESENTATIVE CASE EXPERIENCE
- Corporate Insolvency and Restructuring
- Corporate and Commercial Litigation
- Commercial Arbitration
- Regulatory and Internal Investigations
- Acting for the Liquidators of Griffin Real Estate Investment Holdings Pte Ltd from Ernst & Young Solutions LLP in the recovery of an estimated S$35 million from the former directors of the company.
- Representing Tag Games Limited, a creditor based in the UK, in its application to wind up Six Capital Investments Limited following their failure to satisfy their obligations under a Game Development Agreement and a Settlement Agreement entered thereafter.
- Representing Zylog Systems Limited, a company publicly listed on the National Stock Exchange of India, in Singapore High Court proceedings to replace the current board of directors of its Singapore subsidiary whilst simultaneously applying to hold off a winding up application against the said subsidiary by a local creditor.
- Representing Allegro Development Gmbh in a High Court litigation matter where its debtor is attempting to apply for an injunction to restrain our clients from filing for winding up proceedings against the said debtor.
- Representing Maya Packaging Industries Sdn Bhd in its application to wind up Saber Pte Ltd after the latter failed to satisfy a judgment made in favour of our clients.
- Representing the Liquidator of Kamadhenu Ventures Pte Ltd, Cossimo Borelli in the recovery of monies from its debtors.
- Representing Tata Communications International Pte Ltd in its winding up application against Ricebowl Technologies Pte Ltd.
- Representation of Liu Tsu Kun and Liu Chung Chi, high net worth individuals based in Shanghai, in a High Court claim for S$4.5 million against various parties – during which he successfully obtained a worldwide Freezing Injunction against the parties with an enjoined limit of S$4.75 million.
- Representing Sea-shore Transportation Pte Ltd in its claims against various parties amounting to over S$22 million.
- Representing Mr Sandeep Aggarwal, the co-founder of a “unicorn” technology start-up in India called ShopClues, in High Court proceedings against his wife over the beneficial ownership of 1.2 million shares in a technology start-up in Singapore which now operates one of India’s largest online marketplace for automobiles – the shares approximately valued at US$25 million.
- Representation of Eliwell Corporation in its claim against UOB Kay Hian Pte Ltd and one of its associate directors for almost US$500,000 in losses suffered by our client as a result of the Defendants fraudulence and breach of duty of care.
- Representing Inmobi Pte Ltd against a claim by 24/7 Apps Ltd in which Nawaz and his team managed to negotiate a settlement of the matter at US$160,000 from a claim of almost US$300,000.
- Representation of PT Atlas Resources Tbk in its US$17.93 million claim against Noble Resources International Pte Ltd which arose out of a Deed of Indemnity entered into by both parties for the coverage of any losses incurred by our clients.
- Acted for a former employee of a bank licensed in the Qatar Financial Centre in regulatory disciplinary proceedings commenced against him by the Qatar Financial Centre Regulatory Authority before the Qatar Financial Centre Regulatory Tribunal. This matter required conduct of the proceedings in Doha together with a barrister from the UK.
- Advised an international bank in an internal investigation in relation to the fixing of the Non-Deliverable Forward rates in Singapore and in relation to various competition law aspects.
- Acted for a major tobacco company in relation to advice with respect to investigations and potential regulatory action by the Health Sciences Authority and with respect to advice on the applicable regulations.
- Involved in the preparation of the report by PricewaterhouseCoopers in relation to the investigation of government-linked marine engineering leader SembCorp Marine on its US$303 million unauthorised foreign exchange transactions.
PROVIDENCE LAW ASIA
20 Collyer Quay #21-02 Singapore 049319
P: +65 6438 1969 | E: [email protected]
THE PROVIDENCE EXPERIENCE
Becoming a consummate advocate.
That's the promise of Team Providence.