Area of Expertise
Nawaz has handled a diverse range of corporate insolvency and restructuring matters over almost a decade. During that time, Nawaz has also acted for and advised financial institutions and multi-national business organisations in various corporate and commercial disputes. Prior to joining Providence Law Asia LLC, Nawaz’s practice included working in the Corporate Insolvency & Restructuring Department with Drew & Napier LLC and the Banking & Financial Disputes Department at WongPartnership LLP.
Nawaz’s main areas of practice are:
• Corporate insolvency and restructuring
• Corporate and commercial litigation
• Banking and financial disputes
• Shareholder disputes
During the course of his practice, Nawaz has been involved in many high-value cases across numerous other practice areas; including international commercial arbitration, internal investigations, construction law, financial regulatory matters, intellectual property law, insurance law and probate law.
At Providence Law, Nawaz continues to handle many high-profiled and high-value cases and has become a Corporate insolvency and restructuring expert. He is currently acting for the liquidators from Ernst & Young with respect to a joint venture company (with assets of over S$100 million) partly owned by Sakae Holdings Limited, and also for the liquidators of Six Capital Investments Limited, a BVI company with over US$143 million in debt.
REPRESENTATIVE CASE EXPERIENCE
- Corporate Insolvency and Restructuring
- Corporate and Commercial Litigation
- Commercial Arbitration
- Regulatory and Internal Investigations
Corporate Insolvency and Restructuring
- Acting for the Liquidators (from Ernst & Young Solutions LLP) of Griffin Real Estate Investment Holdings Pte Ltd in the recovery of an estimated S$35 million from the former directors of the company and in other recovery actions against third parties amounting to more than S$30 million.
- Acted for the Receivers and Managers (from Ernst & Young Solutions LLP) of Airtrust (Singapore) Pte Ltd, an oil and gas pipe trading company, in a shareholders’ dispute and in a claim by the company against, inter alia, former directors for breaches of fiduciary duties and conspiracy against the company. Also advised the said Receivers and Managers in the performance of their duties as Court-Appointed Receivers and Managers.
- Acted for the Receivers and Managers (from Ernst & Young Solutions LLP) of a subsidiary of a listed company which was the developer and owner of a high-tech data centre in Singapore. Successfully concluded a sale of the data centre in satisfaction of the subsidiary’s debts and was involved in the drafting of the sale agreement and completion of the sale process.
- Acting for the Liquidators of Six Capital Investments Limited, a BVI company with a debt of over US$143 million in various recovery actions and in seeking recognition in Singapore.
- Acted for the Receivers and Managers of Natural Fuel Pte Ltd and was involved in a High Court litigation dispute which concerned legal complex issues relating to matters of equity and mortgages in the context of JTC land leases.
- Acted for the Liquidator of Relfo Limited, a UK company, in High Court litigation dispute against its former director with respect to recovery of monies dissipated by the latter. This matter involved complex private international law issues such as whether Singapore will allow a civil claim for purposes of allowing recovery of monies by a foreign tax authority.
- Acting for Cosimo Borelli, the Liquidator of Kamadhenu Ventures Pte Ltd, in investigations as to the company’s affairs which included obtaining Norwich Pharmacal Orders in the BVI and conducting a public examination of the former directors in the Singapore Courts.
- Acted for Zylog Systems Limited, a company listed on the National Stock Exchange of India, in proceedings commenced to replace the board of directors of its Singapore subsidiary whilst simultaneously applying to stay winding up application against the said subsidiary.
- Acting for secured lenders which are part of a syndicated loan of over S$50 million to a Singapore entity with operations in the US in the enforcement of various securities in Singapore, Hong Kong and the US.
Corporate and Commercial Litigation
- Acted for an international bank in a High Court litigation dispute against one of its private banking customer over losses suffered pursuant to investments in structured products, including an appeal to the Court of Appeal.
- Acting for Liu Tsu Kun and Liu Chung Chi, high net worth individuals based in Shanghai, in a High Court claim for S$4.5 million against various parties – during which he successfully obtained a worldwide Freezing Injunction against the parties.
- Acted for one of the shareholders of Petroval Pte Ltd in a High Court litigation dispute against the other shareholders of the company for a claim of conspiracy and minority oppression. Also acted for and advised the client in relation to the global settlement involving the Yukos group of companies.
- Acting for a major logistics company, Sea-shore Transportation Pte Ltd in its various legal proceedings which total more than S$25 million in claims.
- Acting for Mr Sandeep Aggarwal, the co-founder of a “unicorn” technology start-up in India, in High Court proceedings against his wife over the beneficial ownership of 1.2 million shares in a Singapore technology start-up (valued at approximately S$25 million) which now operates one of India’s largest online marketplace for automobiles in India.
- Acted for the Morgan Stanley group of companies against Hong Leong Finance in obtaining an interim anti-suit injunction in the High Court of Singapore in relation to a dispute involving the Pinnacle Notes.
- Acted for Eliwell Corporation in its claim against UOB Kay Hian Pte Ltd and one of its associate directors for almost US$500,000 in losses suffered by our client.
- Acted in a High Court claim for the Singapore subsidiary of a group operating a chain of international fitness centres against a subsidiary of a Singapore listed company.
- Acted for a Singapore subsidiary of a German company in obtaining an urgent freezing injunction against a former employee who had been siphoning monies from the company.
- Acted in a District Court Appeal in the High Court for Wong Wan Chin, a former celebrity in Hong Kong, in relation to the unauthorised use of photos relating to her wedding by a bridal agency in Singapore.
- Acted for a national telecommunications licensee in an SIAC arbitration in a dispute with another telecommunications licensee on various contractual and regulatory matters.
- Acting for an Indonesian party in its US$68 million SIAC arbitration claim against a subsidiary of a Singapore listed company in relation to various mining rights in Indonesia.
- Acted for a Singapore company in an SIAC arbitration commenced by an Indian company in relation to various contractual disputes including issues relating to valuation of a rights offer.
- Acted for a major broadcast company in an SIAC arbitration against a US company providing satellite radio services.
- Acted for French company in an ICC arbitration against another French company over disputes relating to a sale and purchase agreement of timber mills and assisted in the eventual global settlement.
Regulatory and Internal Investigations
- Acted for a former employee of a bank licensed in the Qatar Financial Centre in regulatory disciplinary proceedings commenced against him by the Qatar Financial Centre Regulatory Authority before the Qatar Financial Centre Regulatory Tribunal. This matter required conduct of the proceedings in Doha together with a barrister from the UK.
- Advised an international bank in an internal investigation in relation to the fixing of the Non-Deliverable Forward rates in Singapore and in relation to various competition law aspects.
- Acted for a major tobacco company in relation to advice with respect to investigations and potential regulatory action by the Health Sciences Authority and with respect to advice on the applicable regulations.
- Involved in the preparation of the report by PricewaterhouseCoopers in relation to the investigation of government-linked marine engineering leader SembCorp Marine on its US$303 million unauthorised foreign exchange transactions.