Area of Expertise
Nawaz has handled a diverse range of corporate insolvency and restructuring matters over almost a decade. During that time, Nawaz has also acted for and advised financial institutions and multi-national business organisations in various corporate and commercial disputes. Prior to joining Providence Law Asia LLC, Nawaz’s practice included working in the Corporate Insolvency & Restructuring Department with Drew & Napier LLC and the Banking & Financial Disputes Department at WongPartnership LLP.
Nawaz’s main areas of practice are:
• Corporate insolvency and restructuring
• Corporate and commercial litigation
• Banking and financial disputes
• Shareholder disputes
During the course of his practice, Nawaz has been involved in many high-value cases across numerous other practice areas; including international commercial arbitration, internal investigations, construction law, financial regulatory matters, intellectual property law, insurance law and probate law.
REPRESENTATIVE CASE EXPERIENCE
- Corporate Insolvency and Restructuring
- Corporate and Commercial Litigation
- Commercial Arbitration
- Regulatory and Internal Investigations
- Acted for the Receivers and Managers of Airtrust (Singapore) Pte Ltd, an oil and gas pipe trading company, in a shareholders’ dispute and in a claim by the company against, inter alia, former directors for breaches of fiduciary duties and conspiracy against the company. Also advised the said Receivers and Managers in the performance of their duties as Court-Appointed Receivers and Managers
- Acted for the Receivers and Managers of Airtrust (Singapore) Pte Ltd in a High Court litigation dispute commenced by the wife of the late founder of the company for various monies owed.
- Acted for and advised the Receivers and Managers of a subsidiary of a listed company which was the developer and owner of a high tech data centre in Singapore. Successfully concluded a sale of the data centre in satisfaction of the subsidiary’s debts and was involved in the drafting of the sale agreement and completion of the sale process
- Acted for the Receivers and Managers of Natural Fuel Pte Ltd and was involved in a High Court litigation dispute which concerned legal complex issues relating to matters of equity and mortgages in the context of JTC land leases
- Acted for the Liquidator of Choon Construction Pte Ltd (In Liquidation) in a matter involving claims against various third parties for unfair preference payments and other recovery actions
- Acted for the Liquidator of Relfo Limited, a UK company, in High Court litigation dispute against its former director with respect to recovery of monies dissipated by the latter. This matter involved complex private international law issues such as whether Singapore will allow a civil claim for purposes of allowing recovery of monies by a foreign tax authority.
- Acted for the Liquidator of Great Ocean Construction Pte Ltd (In Liquidation) in a matter involving a potential recovery action against the former directors for breaches of directors duties and wrongful diversion of business opportunities
- Acted for the Liquidator of a Singapore company in a High Court litigation matter in relation to claims by the liquidator against former directors for recovery of monies based on the unfair preference and undervalue transaction provisions
- Acted for an international bank in a High Court litigation dispute against one of its private banking customer over losses suffered pursuant to investments in structured products, including an appeal to the Court of Appeal
- Acted for one of the shareholders of Petroval Pte Ltd in a High Court litigation dispute against the other shareholders of the company for a claim of conspiracy and minority oppression. Also acted for and advised the client in relation to the global settlement involving the Yukos group of companies.
- Acted for two Taiwanese investors against directors of a Singapore company in fraudulent investment scam matter with a claim amount of S$4 million
- Acted for the Morgan Stanley group of companies against Hong Leong Finance in obtaining an interim anti-suit injunction in the High Court of Singapore in relation to a dispute involving the Pinnacle Notes
- Acted in a High Court claim for the Singapore subsidiary of a group which runs a chain of international fitness centers against a subsidiary of a Singapore listed company
- Acted for a Singapore subsidiary of a German company in obtaining an urgent freezing injunction against a former employee who had been siphoning monies from the subsidiary
- Acted as lead counsel for a party in a family dispute over the beneficial ownership of properties in Singapore with a value in the excess of S$10 million
- Acted as lead counsel in a District Court Appeal in the High Court for Wong Wan Chin, a former celebrity in Hong Kong, in relation to the unauthorized use of photos relating to her wedding by a bridal agency in Singapore
- Acted for a national telecommunications licensee in an SIAC arbitration of its dispute with another telecommunications licensee on contractual matters
- Acted for a Singapore company in an SIAC arbitration commenced by an Indian company in relation to various contractual disputes including issues relating to valuation of a rights offer
- Acted for a major broadcast company in an SIAC arbitration against a US company providing satellite radio services
- Acted for French company in an ICC arbitration against another French company over disputes relating to a sale and purchase agreement of timber mills and assisted in the eventual global settlement
- Acted for a former employee of a bank licensed in the Qatar Financial Centre in regulatory disciplinary proceedings commenced against him by the Qatar Financial Centre Regulatory Authority before the Qatar Financial Centre Regulatory Tribunal. This matter required conduct of the proceedings in Doha together with a barrister from the UK.
- Advised an international bank in an internal investigation in relation to the fixing of the Non-Deliverable Forward rates in Singapore and in relation to various competition law aspects
- Acted for a major tobacco company in relation to advice with respect to investigations and potential regulatory action by the Health Sciences Authority and with respect to advice on the applicable regulations
- Involved in the preparation of the report by PricewaterhouseCoopers in relation to the investigation of government-linked marine engineering leader SembCorp Marine on its US$303 million unauthorised foreign exchange transactions
PROVIDENCE LAW ASIA
20 Collyer Quay #21-02 Singapore 049319
P: +65 6438 1969 | E: [email protected]
THE PROVIDENCE EXPERIENCE
Becoming a consummate advocate.
That's the promise of Team Providence.