WONG JOON WEE
+65 6438 1969
Qualifications & Admissions
LL. B(Summa cum Laude), Singapore Management University
Advocate and Solicitor, Supreme Court of Singapore
Area of Expertise
Joon Wee graduated Summa cum Laude from the Singapore Management University School of Law, where he won multiple subject prizes and topped his batch in his second year. Subsequently, Joon Wee joined Drew & Napier LLC’s Disputes Resolution department where he worked with an eminent Senior Counsel.
Joon Wee specialises in complex commercial litigation. He has handled cross-border cases involving defamation and banking disputes. Joon Wee has also acted for and advised statutory boards, financial institutions and high-net worth individuals.
- International arbitration
- Corporate and commercial litigation
- Investigations and compliance
- Banking and financial disputes
In addition, Joon Wee has been involved in many high-value cases across a broad range of other practice areas including criminal law, competition law, administrative law, professional negligence, construction, and property and land law. Joon Wee has also advised a cryptocurrency exchange on legal consequences (criminal and civil) arising from fraud committed through the exchange.
REPRESENTATIVE CASE EXPERIENCE
- Cross Border Litigation
- Property & Land Law
- Investigations & Regulatory Work
- Criminal Law
- Blockchain & Cryptocurrency
Cross Border Litigation
- Successfully stayed proceedings brought by a US national and a Bahraini law firm against a Singapore listed company before the Singapore Court of Appeal.
Property & Land Law
- Acted for an individual in a dispute involving several jointly owned properties.
Investigations & Regulatory Work
- Assisted a prominent public transport operator in disciplinary proceedings against its employees. The case was widely reported in the media.
- Advised a statutory body on public law considerations in its tender process.
- Advised an individual on the regulatory requirements for the filing of suspicious transaction reports and liability under the various banking regulations.
- Acted pro bono as lead counsel for three matters administered by the Criminal Law Aid Scheme of the Law Society of Singapore.
- Part of a team which acted for a director of a prominent public transport operator who was charged under the Workplace Safety & Health Act. The case was widely reported in the Singapore media.
- Part of a team which acted for a German national who was charged for punching a taxi driver. The German national was sentenced to 10 days’ jail, which was below the sentencing norm of two weeks for such offences. The case was widely reported in the Singapore media.
Blockchain and cryptocurrency
- Advised a cryptocurrency exchange on legal consequences (criminal and civil) arising from fraud committed through the exchange.