Our team has extensive experience in complex corporate and commercial disputes and is regularly appointed to handle high-value contentious issues by MNCs, local and foreign corporations, established domestic SMEs, and large family-run enterprises.
Providence lawyers have considerable experience and are skilled in various aspects of corporate and commercial litigation, including:
- Partnership Disputes
- Mergers & Acquisition Disputes
- Joint Venture Disputes
- Shareholders Disputes
- Banking/Finance Disputes
- Contractual Disputes
- Corporate Receivership
- Actions for breach of fiduciary duties
- Applications under the Companies Act
- Oppression Actions
- Misfeasance Actions
Providence Law Asia has been instructed on the following notable matters:
- Representing two local holding companies for a multi-million dollar group of Jordanian companies against a claim for US$2.6 billion brought against them by Motorola Credit Solutions, as part of its worldwide effort to enforce a judgment obtained in USA in 2003 against Turkish political dissident Cem Uzan and family.
- Represented a Russian businessman in the matter in the Singapore International Commercial Court (“SICC”) involving alleged breaches of a partnership agreement relating to an integrated winter resort in China valued at S$2.8 billion
- Represented a global property investment firm and asset manager of a premier shopping mall, in acquiring a rare pre-emptive injunction against an anchor tenant, Singapore’s largest supermarket chain, who refused to vacate the premises upon the expiry of their lease. The tenant’s refusal to vacate the premises would have potentially derailed the sale of the shopping mall for over S$900,000,000.
- Represented the subsidiary of the GMR Group (one of India’s leading infrastructure enterprises) which was the main contractor for the reconstruction of the Maldives Airport in its claim for over S$90 million following the sudden termination of the project following the change in the Maldivian political regime.
- Represented an Australian director of an international bank in an SICC suit brought by the bank against the Singapore subsidiary of a Chinese state-owned enterprise involving OTC forward swap contracts valued at US$1.2 million
- Represented an Australian lawyer in his claim against Resorts World Singapore, for assault, battery and false imprisonment. This is the first known case in Singapore seeking civil damages for intentional torts, including claims for aggravated and exemplary damages.
- Engaged by Yahoo! Singapore to protect journalist’s privilege not to disclose their sources of information in light of an order by the Singapore Police Force to disclose metadata on their communications with an internet hacker known as ‘The Messiah’.
- Instructed urgently to act for a multi-national construction corporation against Singapore’s leading business publication in respect of a highly defamatory article concerning the propriety of Ecohouse’s Brazilian property investment schemes that were being marketed in Singapore which caused a loss of investor confidence. The publication removed the offending article and reached a private settlement on terms favourable for our client.