Area of Expertise
Alston graduated from Singapore Management University and subsequently joined Providence Law Asia LLC in 2020. Since then, Alston has assisted in and continues to be involved in a diverse range of matters in the fields of corporate restructuring and insolvency.
Notably, Alston has advised on the restructuring of a company with a debt profile of over S$450 million across three jurisdictions and is currently acting for the liquidators of a BVI company with a debt of over US$143 million in various debt recovery actions in Singapore.
Alston’s specialises in the following areas of law:
- Restructuring and insolvency
- Management of corporate distressed situations
- Insolvency recovery litigation
Representative Case Experience
Corporate Restructuring and Insolvency
- Acting for various companies in the Agri Asia and Agritrade group and more notably, for Agritrade Resources Limited in various recovery actions as well as in the debt restructuring of over S$450 million across the courts in Bermuda, Hong Kong and Singapore.
- Acting for the security agent of a US$50 million loan provided by a consortium of high-profile lenders in an application to place the borrower company into judicial management. This matter also involved a successful urgent application for an interim judicial management to prevent the borrower company from taking further steps as a majority shareholder of an Indian listed company.
- Acted for and advised the liquidators of 8 subsidiaries (the “Subsidiaries”) under the Xihe Capital Group, the vessel-holding arm of the large shipping, bunkering and trading conglomerate beneficially owned by Mr. Lim Oon Kuin and his family, in a series of applications filed by the judicial managers of Xihe Holdings (Pte) Ltd including applications to terminate the voluntary liquidations of the Subsidiaries and applications to convert and place the Subsidiaries into judicial management
- Acting for and advising The Working Capitol Group, a group well-known in the property management industry in Singapore, in a group level debt restructuring. Notably, this brief included an application for a debt consolidation exercise of the Group’s debts, amounting to approximately S$48 million, to be sanctioned via a pre-packed scheme under Section 71 of the Insolvency, Restructuring and Dissolution Act 2018.
- Acted and advised an Indonesian businessman in the restructuring of his personal debts amounting to approximately US$240 million through a voluntary arrangement proposed pursuant to the Insolvency, Restructuring and Dissolution Act 2018.
- Acted for a construction company before the High Court in a successful injunction application to restrain a creditor in liquidation and its liquidator from commencing winding up proceedings and successfully resisted the appeal against the injunction application before the Court of Appeal.
Insolvency Debt Recovery and Commercial Litigation
- Acting for the Liquidators of Six Capital Investments Limited, a BVI company with a debt of over US$143 million in various recovery actions and in seeking recognition in Singapore.
- Acting for two former directors in defending a High Court claim for over S$16 million which was brought by the liquidator of a company in liquidation in relation to alleged breaches of directors’ duties.
- Acting for an investment fund company in the resisting of a High Court action commenced by a bank for the sum of approximately S$19 million. This matter features the interesting consideration of whether a deed of support is capable of imposing direct guarantor obligations.