Corporate & Commercial
- Acted as lead counsel for the Promoters of Future Retail, one of India’s largest retail conglomerates against one of the largest technology companies in the world in an SIAC arbitration seated in New Delhi involving 3 Singapore Senior Counsel and at least 12 Indian Senior Advocates in respect of a dispute valued at above USD 200 million.
- Acted in a SIAC arbitration against a sovereign government for prematurely terminating a 20-year concession agreement for the development of a comprehensive immigration and border control system.
- Acted in a SIAC arbitration in respect of claims exceeding US$D130 million against a sovereign government for repudiating a 50-year joint venture agreement for the development of a lagoon, with claims for aborted reclamation and infrastructure development works.
- Acted in a multi-party SIAC arbitration with a claim value of over A$400 million involving claims of breach of contract, misrepresentation, and breaches of fiduciary duties in respect of the forced sale of shares in an Australian listed company to institutional lenders.
- Acted for Telekoms Malaysia, a public-listed state-owned enterprise and the leading telecommunications service provider in Malaysia, in an SIAC arbitration against a Singapore service provider with respect to a dispute worth over USD 40 million arising out of collaboration agreement.
- Acted for Thaicom, Asia’s leading satellite operator in a technical dispute over the disruption in satellite services which was the subject of an ad hoc arbitration against an Indian television broadcaster.
- Acted for the Promoters of Azure Power Global, a NYSE-listed company involved in the development, production, and sale of solar energy to government utilities and independent industrial and commercial customers, in a Singapore-seated arbitration.
- Acted for one of Indonesia’s largest tin metal traders in an arbitration under the London Metals Exchange Rules.
- Acted for a BVI-incorporated asset management company against a Maldivian company in a SIAC arbitration arising from breaches of a project management agreement in relation to the development of a resort in the Maldives. The arbitration was conducted under the SIAC expedited procedure.
Infrastructure, Energy and Transport
- Represented the main contractors in termination claims against the concessionaire of a multi-billion-dollar airport reconstruction project for an Indian Ocean republic. The client is a prominent South-Asian infrastructure conglomerate with a track record of airport construction projects in India, Philippines, and Turkey.
- Acted for a globally recognised specialist marine subcontractor against a North Asian main contractor in connection with a novel project for the installation of submarine cables under challenging soil and subsea conditions, on a dispute relating to multiple intertwining delay and contractual issues.
- Acted for a Myanmar-based corporation in an ICC arbitration commenced by a subsidiary of the largest cement conglomerate in South-East Asia in relation to claims exceeding USD$385 million arising from purported breaches of an alleged joint venture agreement between to develop a cement factory, and manufacture and distribute cement in the region.
- Acted for the main contractors, who were being sued alongside a silo designer and an accredited checked, in an 80-day multi-party construction and engineering arbitration in Singapore concerning the partial collapse of Southeast Asia’s tallest multi-cell cement silo. This was a technically challenging case involving complex civil and structural engineering issues addressed by an international panel of 14 expert witnesses.
- Acted in a 25-day construction arbitration under ICC Rules in Bangkok between a Malaysian boilermaker and a prominent Thai mill owner in respect of a dispute concerning construction defects in a palm oil refinery in Thailand.
- Acted in a SIAC arbitration in respect of claims exceeding USD150 million against a sovereign government for repudiating a 50-year joint venture agreement for the development of a lagoon, with claims for aborted reclamation and infrastructure development works.
- Represented the subsidiary of YTL Corporation in an arbitration and various adjudications under the Security of Payment Act involving a claim of over S$9 million, involving over 60 heads of claim.
- Acted as Emergency Arbitrator in a multi-party SIAC proceeding arising from the breakdown of a cross-border joint venture involved in manufacturing automotive components where potential losses in excess of USD 40 million were asserted.
- Acted as counsel in an Emergency Arbitration against a $83 million claim brought by a high-profile businessman and art dealer, arising from an aborted sale and purchase agreement relating to a freeport, which involved novel issues on whether the “alter-ego” and “group of companies” doctrines could be invoked to found jurisdiction over non-signatories to an arbitration agreement.
- Acted as counsel in an Emergency Arbitration in connection with the collapse of an investment scheme that had attracted substantial retail investor funds on the promise of lucrative guaranteed returns from financing housing projects in Brazil.