Area of Expertise
Nawaz has handled a diverse range of corporate insolvency and restructuring matters over almost a decade. During that time, Nawaz has also acted for and advised financial institutions and multi-national business organisations in various corporate and commercial disputes. Nawaz practised in the Restructuring team at Drew & Napier LLC and WongPartnership LLP.
During the course of his practice, Nawaz has been involved in many high-value cases across numerous other practice areas; including international commercial arbitration, internal investigations, construction law, financial regulatory matters, intellectual property law, insurance law and probate law.
Representative Case Experience
Corporate Insolvency and Restructuring
- Acting for and advised PDV Marina, one of the state-owned national oil companies of Venezuela in successfully resisting claims of over US$1.8 billion. These claims arise from various ICC and ICSID arbitration awards secured by international MNCs against the Venezuelan Republic and PDV SA and these claimants are attempted to make PDV Marina liable for the liabilities of the Republic / PDV SA on the private international law principle that PDV Marina is merely an alter ego or extension of the state.
- Acting for and advised BlackRock and Ares SSG (who act through their security agent, Madison Pacific Trust Limited) in respect of a US$50 million loan facility given to Take Solutions Singapore (a majority shareholder of the Indian List Co, Take Solutions India). Providence Law is advising on various cross-border restructuring aspects and acting for the lenders in an application to place Take Solutions Singapore into judicial management.
- Acting for a Cayman Island venture capitalist fund in the recovery of various outstanding amounts arising from syndicated loan transactions totalling over US$50 million, which involved the enforcement of a share charge, obtaining summary judgments against the corporate and personal guarantors, resisting SIAC proceedings by the debtor, resisting certain reliefs sought by the debtor during a UNCITRAL Model Law on Cross-Border Insolvency recognition application.
- Acting for the security agent of a US$50 million loan provided by a consortium of high-profile lenders, in an application to place the borrower company into judicial management. This matter also involved a successful urgent application for an interim judicial management to prevent the borrower company from taking further steps as a majority shareholder of an Indian listed company.
- Acting for Agritrade Resources Limited, an entity listed on the Hong Kong stock exchange, in various recovery actions in Singapore, India and Hong Kong, as well as in a global debt restructuring exercise of over S$450 million across the courts in Bermuda, Hong Kong and Singapore.
- Acting for and advised The Working Capitol Group, a group well-known in the property management industry in Singapore, in a debt restructuring exercise involving the evolving co-working space industry in Singapore. This restructuring further features a novel debt consolidation exercise of the Group’s debts amounting to approximately S$48 million and a pre-packed scheme proposed under Section 71 of the Insolvency, Restructuring and Dissolution Act 2018. Providence Law works together with insolvency professionals from Quantuma on this matter.
- Acted for and advised the Liquidators of 8 subsidiaries (1 of which are in creditors’ voluntary winding up while the remaining 7 are in members’ voluntary liquidators of Xihe Capital (Pte) Ltd) in defending against litigation initiated by fellow Liquidators and Judicial Managers of the Hin Leong Group.
- Acted and advised an Indonesian businessman in the restructuring of his personal debts amounting to approximately US$240 million through a voluntary arrangement proposed pursuant to the Insolvency, Restructuring and Dissolution Act 2018.
- Acting for an investment fund company in the resisting of a High Court action commenced by a bank for the sum of approximately S$19 million. This matter features the interesting consideration of whether a deed of support is capable of imposing direct guarantor obligations.
- Acting for two individuals in defending an action in the High Court brought by the liquidator of a company in liquidation in relation to alleged breaches of directors’ duties owed by the individuals to the company.
- Acting for SEF Construction Pte Ltd and its directors in scheme of arrangement and individual voluntary arrangement proceedings relating to the restructuring and liquidation of the company’s pre-fabrication business involving debts of over S$100 million and the sale of a specialized integrated plant.
- Acted for a major shareholder of Super Park Asia Group Pte Ltd in contentious provisional liquidation proceedings. The dispute was eventually heard by the Singapore Court of Appeal which issued a judgment Superpark Oy v Super Park Asia Group Pte Ltd & Ors  SGCA 8.
- Acted for the Liquidator of Vi Dimensions Pte Ltd in contentious sale proceedings relating to the US$1.35 million sale of the company’s intellectual property.
- Acting for the Liquidators (from Ernst & Young Solutions LLP) of Griffin Real Estate Investment Holdings Pte Ltd in the recovery of an estimated S$35 million from the former directors of the company and in other recovery actions against third parties amounting to more than S$30 million.
- Acted for the Receivers and Managers (from Ernst & Young Solutions LLP) of Airtrust (Singapore) Pte Ltd, an oil and gas pipe trading company, in a shareholders’ dispute and in a claim by the company against, inter alia, former directors for breaches of fiduciary duties and conspiracy against the company. Also advised the said Receivers and Managers in the performance of their duties as Court-Appointed Receivers and Managers.
- Acted for the Receivers and Managers (from Ernst & Young Solutions LLP) of a subsidiary of a listed company which was the developer and owner of a high-tech data centre in Singapore. Successfully concluded a sale of the data centre in satisfaction of the subsidiary’s debts and was involved in the drafting of the sale agreement and completion of the sale process.
- Acting for and advised the BVI liquidators of Six Capital Investments Limited in various recovery actions with respect to a debt of over US$143 million and in seeking and obtaining recognition of the BVI winding up proceedings in Singapore under the UNCITRAL Model Law on Cross-Border Insolvency.