Area of Expertise
Since joining Providence Law, Asiyah has been involved in a diverse and comprehensive range of matters – extending from complex construction law adjudications and tenancy disputes to actions for the enforcement of foreign judgments in Singapore.
In general, Asiyah’s main areas of practice are:
- Corporate and commercial litigation
- Criminal Litigation
Despite her youthful years, Asiyah has shown dexterity and expertise in handling complex litigation and arbitration and has been commended by her clients as being very hands on and detail oriented.
REPRESENTATIVE CASE EXPERIENCE
- Represented local holding companies for a multi-million dollar group of Jordanian companies against a claim for US$2.6 billion brought against them by Motorola Credit Solutions, as part of its worldwide effort to enforce a judgment obtained in USA in 2003 against Turkish political dissident Cem Uzan and family.
- Assisted in acquiring a quia timet injunction for the owner of TripleOne Somerset shopping mall against an anchor tenant of over a lease dispute, which could potentially have derailed a S$900million deal to sell the shopping mall.
- Represented a subsidiary of one of Malaysia’s largest construction conglomerates in obtaining a judgment setting aside an adjudication award granted to a sub-contractor on the basis of procedural irregularities in the adjudication, and in a complex arbitration involving over 67 heads of claim.
- Represented a local listed engineering company against a claim for US$ 125 million brought against them by a Saudi Arabian national for alleged breaches of a proxy agreement in relation to procuring an EPC contract from SATORP. Applied to stay proceedings in Singapore on the basis that Saudi Arabia was the appropriate forum. On appeal, the Singapore Court of Appeal stayed proceedings.
- Represented a Malaysian committee appointed to manage the assets of a mentally incapacitated person in the first application to vest his properties, including his CPF monies, in the foreign committee under the Mental Capacity Act. Argued novel issues in relation to the interpretation and scope of provisions under the Mental Capacity Act and CPF Act.
- Representing, an Australian venture capital investment company in its A$6.75 million claim against a local investment holding company for damages resulting from a breach of a share sale agreement by the latter, and misrepresentations made in relation to a project to build a cement and clinker plant in Malaysia.
- Representing an Australian Company in an SIAC arbitration against a foreign state for prematurely terminating a 20-year concession agreement, in which the team successfully secured its client an award of damages of approximately US$17 million for losses of profits and the costs of arbitration for its client. Advising and working with a third-party funder on enforcement proceedings.
- Representing a the Singapore subsidiary of a prominent Malaysian infrastructure conglomerate in an SIAC arbitration against a local construction company over, represented by one of the biggest law firms in Singapore in a S$10 million construction dispute. Secured a partial award on liability in which the claimant succeeded on all the issues
- Advising a foreign company in its potential arbitration against a foreign government for various breaches of a joint venture agreement for losses of profit estimated to be between US$150 to US$$300 million.
- Representing a well known Malaysian hotel group and its subsidiary in SIAC arbitration proceedings against a foreign party for the wrongful termination of a joint venture agreement, resulting in the client’s losses of profits estimated to be approximately US$4.5 million.
- Represented a Thai satellite company in ad hoc arbitration proceedings against an Indian television broadcaster for unpaid fees.
- Assisted in advising a leading Singapore wealth management company on the termination of one of its employees facing massive public backlash due to his social media posts. Successfully obtained a favourable settlement agreement for the company, and worked with UK Counsel to have defamatory materials published in the online version of a leading UK publication removed within hours.
- Member, Law Society of Singapore
- Member, Singapore Academy of Law
- Member, Young International Arbitration Group
- Member, Association of Women for Action & Research
PROVIDENCE LAW ASIA
20 Collyer Quay #21-02 Singapore 049319
P: +65 6438 1969 | E: [email protected]
THE PROVIDENCE EXPERIENCE
Becoming a consummate advocate.
That's the promise of Team Providence.