+65 6438 1969
Qualifications & Admissions
LL.M. International & Comparative Law, McGill University
LL.B. (Hons), National University of Singapore
Advocate & Solicitor, Supreme Court of Singapore
Solicitor, England & Wales
Area of Expertise
Eugene joins Providence Law Asia with an extensive experience in the international tax and trade law in the Asia Pacific region. Prior to joining Providence Law Asia, Eugene was the head of the Tax and Wealth Management practice in Baker & McKenzie Wong & Leow and had also for a time been based in Hong Kong for over a decade to focus on tax and trade matters in the Greater China area.
Eugene’s main areas of practice include:
- International trade
- International tax planning
- Tax controversies, indirect tax
- Customs and excise
- Export controls and trade sanctions matters in Singapore, China and the Asia Pacific region
In addition, Eugene also covers trade law developments in the WTO, APEC, ASEAN and under the various free trade agreements in the Asia Pacific region. Recently, Eugene was also involved in thought leadership projects involving the implications of the OECD BEPS project and mega-regional trade agreements (e.g., the Trans-pacific Partnership agreement, Regional Comprehensive Economic Partnership agreement, and the ASEAN Economic Community) on global businesses operating in the Asia Pacific region.
REPRESENTATIVE CASE EXPERIENCE
- Advised various multinational corporations on the indirect tax, customs and trade aspects of structuring their global and Asia Pacific supply chain operations.
- Assisted various clients on tax disputes with the Inland Revenue Authority of Singapore.
- Advised various multinational corporations on the use of free trade agreements (FTAs) to obtain preferential market access for their goods and services in the Asia Pacific region.
- Advised various multinationals corporations on export control issues and trade sanctions in the Asia Pacific region.
- Advised various industry groups on the consistency of local laws and standards with international trade laws.
- Advised numerous luxury, fashion and apparel companies on their distribution operations in China.
- Advised numerous multinational corporations on regulatory, tax and customs issues relating to their contract manufacturing, procurement, distribution and after-sales strategies in China.
- Advised various multinational corporations on managing disputes with China customs and tax authorities.
- Assisting a global luxury automative brand in setting up their manufacturing hubs in India and South East Asia and arranging their global supply chain structure.
- Assisting a global Fortune 500 IT company in considering the indirect tax implications in their payment solutions in the Asia Pacific region.
- Assisting various multinational corporations in negotiating and re-negotiating their incentives and grants with Singaporean government agencies.
- Counselling various multinational corporations with managing disclosures to various governments in the Asia Pacific region in relation to export control and customs violations.
- Board Member, Singapore Tax Academy
- Leading Individual (Singapore Tax) – Legal500 (2017)
- Recognized by Chambers Asia Pacific 2017 for Singapore tax
- Tax Controversy Leader (Singapore, Hong Kong) – International Tax Review Tax Controversy Leaders Guide (2013 – 2015)
- Indirect Tax Leader (Singapore) – International Tax Review Indirect Tax Leaders Guide (2013 – 2015, 2017)
- Leading Trade & Customs Lawyer, The International Who’s Who of Trade & Customs Lawyers, 2010-2014
- Leading Lawyer for International Trade: Asia-wide, Chambers Asia and Chambers Global, 2009-2016
- Leading Lawyer for International Trade: China, Chambers Global and Chambers Asia Pacific, 2012-2015
PROVIDENCE LAW ASIA
20 Collyer Quay #21-02 Singapore 049319
P: +65 6438 1969 | E: [email protected]
THE PROVIDENCE EXPERIENCE
Becoming a consummate advocate.
That's the promise of Team Providence.