Private Wealth & Tax
Providence Law is regularly instructed to advise and act as counsel in Court in respect of private wealth, succession & inheritance disputes. Our clients include High Net Worth Individuals (HNWIs), family offices, next-generation business owners, executors & trustees of wills and estates, and various types of protectors and beneficiaries.
We have also a specialist tax disputes practice and are often instructed by and work alongside tax and accounting professionals in assisting corporates & HNWIs to resolve disputes with the Inland Revenue Authority of Singapore (IRAS).
We are also familiar with the tax regulatory landscape in Singapore and abroad. Our members have previously worked in IRAS, the Attorney General’s Chambers, as well as in “magic circle” UK barristers’ sets Pump Court Tax Chambers, Fountain Court Chambers and Essex Court Chambers.
Our representative cases include:
- Acting in a GST anti-avoidance case involving a US$63 million cross-border carousel fraud.
- Acting in income tax avoidance cases involving corporatization, profit-shifting and multi-jurisdictional corporate structures.
- Acting in corporate tax disputes involving capital expenditure in excess of S$80 million.
- Securing acquittals for a former manager of a family-run gaming company, in a first-of-its-kind prosecution brought by IRAS relating to over-claiming of GST evasion charges.
- Filing an Originating Summons to compel IRAS to issue IR23 or to seek clarity from the Singapore High Court on a novel point of law.
- Representing a HNWI in respect of a Cayman Island family trust with assets valued at over US$133 million against civil lawsuits in Singapore, USA and India and possible criminal prosecution initiated by third parties in Switzerland, USA and India. Coordinated with multiple foreign counsel to implement a global ring-fencing strategy.
- Representing the patriarchs of a prominent family textiles business in seeking to clawback over $10 million in fraudulent withdrawals by the next-generation family members.
- Representing the beneficiary of a multi-million dollar will trust in challenging the validity of the fraudulent final iteration of her parents’ mirror wills.
- Representing the executors of a $20 million testamentary trust in highly contentious probate proceedings involving private and foreign governmental beneficiaries.
- Setting aside a Lasting Power of Attorney for a high-profile client. This is the first case of its kind in Singapore.
- Acting in employee compensation disputes involving valuation of share options and characterisation of employee termination payments.
- Acting in disputes involving imposition of stamp duty and Additional Buyer Stamp Duty (ABSD).