+65 6438 1969
Qualifications & Admissions
LL.B, National University of Singapore
Advocate and Solicitor, Supreme Court of Singapore
Area of Expertise
Mingguan undertakes a diverse range of work in the areas of international arbitration and commercial litigation. Prior to joining Providence Law Asia LLC, Mingguan practiced at Drew & Napier LLC for 7 years, and where he worked with eminent Senior Counsel.
Mingguan has handled numerous shareholder and joint venture disputes, as well as complex high-value contractual claims. Mingguan has also acted for and advised state-owned entities, financial institutions and high-net worth individuals.
Mingguan’s main areas of practice include:
- International arbitration
- Corporate & commercial litigation
- Shareholder and joint venture disputes
- Banking and financial disputes
In addition, Mingguan has been involved in many high-value cases across a broad range of other practice areas including defamation, corporate insolvency and restructuring, professional negligence, construction, and property and land law.
REPRESENTATIVE CASE EXPERIENCE
- Acted in an international arbitration seated in Hong Kong, under the LCIA Rules, involving disputes arising out of a Stock and Asset Purchase Agreement governed by New York law. The claims were for, among other things, the recovery of certain sums due and owing as part of the purchase consideration, and damages in excess of US$10.5 million based on alleged breaches of contract.
- Acted for a Singapore-listed company in relation to an international arbitration seated in Myanmar, involving disputes arising out of a joint venture agreement. This matter involved, among other things, the sale of shares valued at approximately US$560 million.
- Acted in an international arbitration, under the SIAC Rules, involving disputes arising out of a shareholders’ agreement in respect of a water treatment company with businesses in China. This case involved, among other things, questions of construction of the parties’ obligations under the shareholders’ agreement.
- Acted in an international ad hoc arbitration seated in Brunei, involving disputes arising out of an agreement for piling works and the construction of a wharf. The claim was for approximately B$30 million.
- Acted in a suit in the High Court, and on appeal to the Court of Appeal, in relation to the sale of shares by a mortgagee bank at an undervalue and an application for an anti-suit injunction. The claim was for approximately US$80 million.
- Acted in a suit in the High Court in relation to disputes arising out of an agreement for the sale and purchase of integrated circuit chips worth US$60 million.
- Acted in a suit in the High Court in relation to claims brought by a Singapore-based shipyard against a European listed company arising out of defective ship designs. The contract value of the vessels was approximately US$25 million.
- Acted in a suit in the High Court in relation to cheques allegedly altered by an employee of a luxury watch dealer. This case involved the duties owed by a bank to its customers, and the cheques were in excess of S$10 million.
PROVIDENCE LAW ASIA
20 Collyer Quay #21-02 Singapore 049319
P: +65 6438 1969 | E: [email protected]
THE PROVIDENCE EXPERIENCE
Becoming a consummate advocate.
That's the promise of Team Providence.