+65 6438 1969
Qualifications & Admissions
LLB (Hons) (First Class), National University of Singapore
Advocate and Solicitor, Supreme Court of Singapore
Area of Expertise
He has advised and represented a range of clients including multinational corporations, governments, state-owned entities, funds and financial institutions. He particularly enjoys working on matters with complex engineering issues and has handled disputes stemming from diverse industries such as energy, telecommunications, oil and gas, steel, commodities, pharmaceuticals, water and chemical processing, signal and defence technology.
Jiaxiang’s main areas of practice are:
- International arbitration
- Contract claims
- Shareholder / joint venture disputes
- Civil fraud and investigations
After graduating from the National University of Singapore with First Class Honours, Jiaxiang served in the Supreme Court of Singapore as a Justices’ Law Clerk and, concurrently, as an Assistant Registrar. Following his stint in the Supreme Court, Jiaxiang practised for 7 years in Drew & Napier LLC, where he was an Associate Director in the Dispute Resolution Department.
In 2014, Jiaxiang was appointed Young Amicus Curiae by the Supreme Court of Singapore and assisted in a landmark decision by the Court of Appeal on the sentencing considerations for causing death by a negligent act.
REPRESENTATIVE CASE EXPERIENCE
- Acted in an ICC arbitration involving a dispute over a contract for the sale and supply of a defence security system, valued at approximately US$100 million.
- Acted in an ICC arbitration involving allegations of fraud arising out of a share purchase agreement for a South Asian business valued at over US$4 billion.
- Acted in a CIETAC arbitration involving an engineering procurement construction contract in Ningxia, China, valued at approximately US$105 million.
- Acted in an ICC arbitration involving a dispute over an Indonesian distributorship contract valued at US$20 million.
- Acted in a SIAC arbitration involving a dispute arising out of an engineering and procurement contract for the development, design and manufacture of desalination units in Salalah, Oman.
Corporate and Commercial Litigation
- Acted for an Indonesian company in a dispute before the Singapore High Court over a contract, worth US$60 million, for the supply of integrated circuit chips for the issuance of Indonesian electronic identification cards.
- Acted for a Singapore listed company in a claim before the Singapore High Court for minority oppression and breaches of fiduciary duties.
- Acted for an Indonesian coal producer before the Singapore International Commercial Court against claims amounting to US$500 million brought by an Australian listed company in relation to a joint venture for the development of coal briquetting technology.
- Acted for a group of banks in an application before the Singapore High Court to set aside an international arbitration award (valued at over US$100 million) on the grounds of breaches of natural justice and lack of jurisdiction. The application was allowed by the High Court and affirmed in part by the Court of Appeal, in a landmark judgment (AKN v ALC  SGCA 18) which redefined the law and principles of setting aside arbitration awards, and the consequences thereof.
PROVIDENCE LAW ASIA
20 Collyer Quay #21-02 Singapore 049319
P: +65 6438 1969 | E: [email protected]
THE PROVIDENCE EXPERIENCE
Becoming a consummate advocate.
That's the promise of Team Providence.