LL.B (Summa cum Laude), Singapore Management University
Advocate and Solicitor, Supreme Court of Singapore
Area of Expertise
After graduating as the valedictorian of his class from the Singapore Management University School of Law, Kenny was selected to serve as a Justices’ Law Clerk in the Supreme Court of Singapore for 2 years, where he assisted several Justices of the High Court, Justices of Appeal, and the Chief Justice of Singapore on a wide range of matters which included criminal law, corporate and commercial law, construction law, international arbitration, probate & administration, and public international law. Prior to his role as a Justices’ Law Clerk, Kenny also served briefly as a Deputy Public Prosecutor at the Criminal Justice Division of the Attorney-General’s Chambers of Singapore. Kenny was also formerly an associate in the Commercial and Corporate Disputes Practice at WongPartnership LLP.
Main areas of practice:
- Corporate and commercial litigation
- International arbitration
- Asset Recovery, Business Crimes and Internal Investigations
- Private International Law
During his university days, Kenny represented Singapore Management University in a wide array of mooting competitions, both domestic and international. This included the inaugural 2011 Attorney-General’s Cup, the 2012 Asia Cup, the 2013 Willem C. Vis International Commercial Arbitration Moot, as well as the 2014 Phillip C. Jessup International Law Moot Court Competition, the oldest and largest moot competition in the world. Notably, Kenny’s team advanced to the World Championship Round of the Jessup Moot, also clinching a series of memorial prizes along the way, which marked Singapore Management University’s best ever showing in the competition. Kenny was ranked in the top 20 individual oralists in the world.
Kenny is actively involved in coaching various moot teams from Singapore Management University, and has also taught the courses of Ethics & Social Responsibility and Business Law as an adjunct faculty of the university.
REPRESENTATIVE CASE EXPERIENCE
Litigation & International Arbitration
- Acting for a Singapore company and its directors against claims of, inter alia, minority oppression and breach of directors’ duties in the Singapore High Court.
- Acting for a Canadian company in an application before the Singapore High Court to set aside a jurisdictional award rendered by a tribunal in the ICC International Court of Arbitration.
- Representing and advising a high net-worth individual with assets worth over US$1 billion on claims relating to conspiracy and misrepresentation.
- Acting for an investment firm in an SIAC arbitration and successfully resisting the setting aside of loan agreements entered into on the grounds of economic duress and penalty clauses.
- Acting for a high net-worth individual and successfully arguing for the setting aside of service of Singapore court documents outside of jurisdiction.
- Acting for a Singapore company in an SIAC arbitration concerning breaches of fiduciary duties and minority oppression.
- Acting for a former executive of Standard Chartered Bank in an SIAC arbitration involving claims for outstanding sums owing under an employee termination agreement, and successfully negotiating a favourable settlement for the client.
Asset recovery, advisory and investigations
- Acting in the enforcement of a multi-million dollar Korean judgment in Singapore, and successfully obtaining worldwide freezing injunctions against the judgment debtor and 4 other third-party affiliates. This case concerns the novel issue of third-party injunctions against foreign entities, which has hitherto not been considered in any reported Singapore judgment. The case also involves multi-jurisdictional elements, including concurrent enforcement and recovery proceedings in the USA, HK and the BVI.
- Acting in the successful enforcement of personal and corporate guarantees against directors and affiliated companies in claims totaling over US$6 million, and successfully resisting an application for the stay of the Singapore court actions in favour of arbitration.
- Acting for the liquidators of a Singapore company in recovery actions against former directors / affiliated entities involving fraud of over US$140 million and assisting in the criminal investigations with the Singapore Commercial Affairs Department.
- Acting for the liquidators of a Singapore company involving recovery actions totaling S$50 million, and successfully obtaining a freezing injunction against the judgment debtor. The case concerns novel issues pertaining to tracing and the account of profits by a knowing recipient.
- Acting for a Singapore global commodities trading firm in resisting the enforcement of a corporate guarantee, and successfully negotiating a favourable settlement for the client.
- Acting for the founders and directors of an Indian listed company in the resisting of the enforcement of personal guarantees in claims totaling over US$80 million.
- Advising a leading global investment firm on employment-related matters as well as conducting an investigation into the firm’s subsidiary for transactions made in several foreign jurisdictions.
- Advising a Singapore petrochemical company on matters relating to liquidated damages clauses and claims alleging inducement of breach of contract.
- Acting in an investigation into Singapore Post Limited’s US$168.6 million acquisition of TradeGlobal Holdings, Inc.
- Co-wrote an article – “The high-water mark in the enforcement of exclusive jurisdiction clauses in Singapore” (May 2019) IBA International Litigation News
- Co-wrote an article – “Singapore Court of Appeal adjudges on the effect of non-exclusive jurisdiction clauses and what constitutes a submission to jurisdiction” (May 2019) IBA International Litigation News
- Co-wrote an article – “The Incidence of Iura Novit Arbiter in Singapore Arbitration Law”, (2017) European International Arbitration Review (EIAR) Volume 6, Issue 1.
- Case commentary – “High Court Issues Guidance on Court Discretion to Stay Arbitral Proceedings Pending a Jurisdictional Challenge”, (2017) ICC Dispute Resolution Bulletin Issue 2.
- Case commentary – “Inherent Jurisdiction and Inherent Power”, (July 2014) Singapore Academy of Law, Singapore Law Watch Commentaries.
- Co-wrote a case commentary – “The Test for Apparent Bias”, (May 2014) Singapore Academy of Law, Singapore Law Watch Commentaries.
- SAL Practitioner Journal: Appointed to be Assistant Editor of Advocacy Procedure chapter