+65 6438 1969
Qualifications & Admissions
LL.B (Summa cum Laude), Singapore Management University
Advocate and Solicitor, Supreme Court of Singapore
Area of Expertise
After graduating as the valedictorian of his class from the Singapore Management University School of Law, Kenny was selected to serve as a Justices’ Law Clerk in the Supreme Court of Singapore for 2 years, where he assisted several Justices of the High Court, Justices of Appeal, and the Chief Justice of Singapore on a wide range of matters which included criminal law, corporate and commercial law, construction law, international arbitration, probate & administration, and public international law. Prior to his role as a Justices’ Law Clerk, Kenny also served briefly as a Deputy Public Prosecutor at the Criminal Justice Division of the Attorney-General’s Chambers of Singapore. Kenny completed his practice training in the Commercial and Corporate Disputes Practice at WongPartnership LLP.
- Corporate and commercial litigation
- Criminal litigation
- International arbitration
During his university days, Kenny represented Singapore Management University in a wide array of mooting competitions, both domestic and international. This included the inaugural 2011 Attorney-General’s Cup, the 2012 Asia Cup, the 2013 Willem C. Vis International Commercial Arbitration Moot, as well as the 2014 Phillip C. Jessup International Law Moot Court Competition, the oldest and largest moot competition in the world. Notably, Kenny’s team advanced to the World Championship Round of the Jessup Moot, also clinching a series of memorial prizes along the way, which marked Singapore Management University’s best ever showing in the competition. Kenny was ranked in the top 20 individual oralists in the world.
Kenny is actively involved in coaching various moot teams from Singapore Management University, and has also taught the courses of Ethics & Social Responsibility and Business Law as an adjunct faculty of the university.
REPRESENTATIVE CASE EXPERIENCE
- Representing and advising a Singapore company and its directors against claims of, inter alia, minority oppression and breach of directors’ duties.
- Representing a Canadian company in an application before the Singapore High Court to set aside a jurisdictional award rendered by a tribunal in the ICC International Court of Arbitration.
- Representing and advising a high net-worth individual with assets worth over US$1 billion on claims relating to conspiracy and misrepresentation.
Advisory / Investigation
- Advising a leading global investment firm on employment-related matters as well as conducting an investigation into the firm’s subsidiary for transactions made in several foreign jurisdictions.
- Advising a Singapore petrochemical company on matters relating to liquidated damages clauses and claims alleging inducement of breach of contract.
- Assisting in conducting an investigation into Singapore Post Limited’s US$168.6 million acquisition of TradeGlobal Holdings, Inc.
- Co-wrote an article – “The Incidence of Iura Novit Arbiter in Singapore Arbitration Law”, (2017) European International Arbitration Review (EIAR) Volume 6, Issue 1.
- Case commentary – “High Court Issues Guidance on Court Discretion to Stay Arbitral Proceedings Pending a Jurisdictional Challenge”, (2017) ICC Dispute Resolution Bulletin Issue 2.
- Case commentary – “Inherent Jurisdiction and Inherent Power”, (July 2014) Singapore Academy of Law, Singapore Law Watch Commentaries.
- Co-wrote a case commentary – “The Test for Apparent Bias”, (May 2014) Singapore Academy of Law, Singapore Law Watch Commentaries.
Singapore Academy of Law
- SAL Practitioner Journal: Appointed to be Assistant Editor of Advocacy Procedure chapter