Area of Expertise
Wei Shing has experience in a diverse range of matters in commercial litigation and arbitration. He has been involved in engineering and construction disputes including adjudications under the Building and Construction Industry Security of Payment Act, shareholder and joint venture disputes, as well as corporate insolvency and restructuring.
Wei Shing graduated from the National University of Singapore on the Dean’s List (Overall). Prior to joining Providence Law Asia, he was working in the Commercial Litigation Department with Rajah & Tann Singapore LLP.
Representative Case Experience
Engineering and construction
- Acted for an Indian construction company and a Philippines subcontractor in an arbitration under the SIAC Rules arising from a dispute in relation to the construction of a bioethanol plant in The Philippines.
- Acted for a major listed Japanese construction company in claims arising from the Downtown Line MRT Project. Assisted in successfully obtaining a stay of High Court proceedings in favour of an ad hoc arbitration.
- Acted for a Singapore specialist electrical contractor in relation to dispute concerning a major infrastructure project in Singapore.
- Acted for a cladding supplier in a dispute with a subcontractor in relation to the installation of aluminium claddings in the construction of a MRT depot in Singapore.
- Acted for a listed Japanese construction company in arbitration involving disputes relating to the supply and installation of specialised equipment for an MRT project in Singapore.
- Acted for a Singapore specialist electrical contractor in resisting the call of a performance bond relating to a mixed-development project.
- Acted for main contractors in applications to set aside adjudication determinations under the Building and Construction Industry Security of Payment Act.
- Acted for both claimants and respondents in various adjudication applications commenced under the Building and Construction Industry Security of Payment Act.
- Acted for a renovation contractor in a dispute arising out of the renovation of a restaurant.
Shareholder and joint venture disputes
- Acted for an Indian logistics company in an arbitration under the SIAC Rules in relation to disputes arising out of a shareholders’ agreement and an employment agreement. Assisted in successfully resisting interim reliefs sought by the former CEO and Managing Director in two related emergency arbitrations.
- Acting for an Israeli high net worth individual in Singapore High Court proceedings connected to disputes arising out of a joint venture to develop a luxury resort in Vietnam.
- Acted for a property holding company and majority shareholders in disputes in relation to loans disbursed to the minority shareholder and claims of oppression.
Corporate insolvency and restructuring
- Acted for a Singapore civil engineering and construction company in an application for scheme of arrangement.
- Advised a major listed Japanese construction company on the impact of the appointment of a receiver of Jurong Aromatics Corporation.
- Acted for an established Singapore construction company in obtaining a winding up order against an automobile manufacturer.